Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dry Summer and Harvest 2012

If you live in Oregon you already know that there was a record 100 days+ without rain this summer. Here's a snapshot of a week in July in Carlton, Oregon, where my vineyard is located.
 
That's perfect weather for grapes AND humans.  Funny thing is, it never changed.  It was warm to hot all summer, and was dry until Oct. 12th, when the rains came.  Harvest was spread out over a week, starting with Oct. 6th, then the 9th and finally the 11th.  The weather predictors all claimed that the rains would start the day after harvest, and they were right.  We literally picked until the last moment. So did most of my neighbors.  If anything, we could have used a little rain.  Here's a pic of the dirt around my vines right before harvest.

The wines from 2012 will be big, round, and forward.  The wines from Merriman Vineyard will be all those things plus a bright acidity.  The numbers from the pick were
24.2 brix
3.18 pH
Super nice numbers.  We are cold soaking in sustained low temperatures to get the right kind of extraction.  We also are experimenting this year with whole cluster fermentation and indigenous yeasts. I've purchased six new French oak barrels (that's alot for me) and I've got at least 80 barrels total.  In 2006 I made 100 cases. In 2010 I made 500 cases. In 2011, 1000 cases. In 2012 I'll be making 2000+ cases!  Most of that is our dear old friend, Cummins Road.

Just a quick word about our exciting 2011 Chenin Blanc release.   We've just started pouring it at tastings and we're getting rave reviews from those who try it.  In 2010 we only made 80 cases.  This year we made 252!  I just sent the wines to the Wine Spectator, Advocate and Enthusiast.  Hopefully they'll see the Chenin light.

Thanks for checking out my blog and take a peak at MerrimanWines.com for purchasing and more info.

Cheers,

Mike M.

No comments:

Post a Comment